LEARN TO COUNTER | RSS | CHAT

Author Topic: Civilization VI [PC] (2016)  (Read 1238 times)

weaselprofessor

• View Profile
Civilization VI [PC] (2016)
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:47:54 PM »
Civilization VI is coming in October 2016. It looks to keep the hex grid, but re-introduces some limited measure of stacking units, and a new "un-stacked" city, where adding buildings takes up additional space on the map. There's also some interesting changes to the technology tree, moving cultural research out to its own tree, and buildings giving research-specific bonuses (the example I read about was a quarry giving a bonus to researching masonry, for example.)

I'm hoping this iteration continues the trend of making combat more interesting, with deeper choices of positioning, limited stacking, etc. The combat changes to Civ V were very welcome, but I'm hazy on the details of "limited stacking" and hope they don't turn around and make unit positioning less valuable again.

I do hope they've fixed some of the oddness surrounding ranged combat, though. In Civ v, it was always weird to me that archers had a range of one hex, but infantry were treated as melee. It would seem to me that by the time you reach advanced gunpowder units, the concept of a melee unit would pretty much go by the wayside (of course, that could be an interesting mod to make, just for kicks to see how it works out).

Espionage will also apparently have some impact in vanilla Civ VI, but I'm unclear if it's only against AI opponents, or against humans, too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 11:01:47 AM by Q-veta »
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Runtime

• View Profile
Re: Civilization VI [PC] (2016)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 07:12:30 PM »
Based on my limited experience with Civ V (Still playing through my second game,) I think the reason many gunpowder units don't have ranged attacks is because it would favor defenders too much.  You'd have to add some sort of suppression mechanic so your entire army doesn't get shredded before they even get to attack.

weaselprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:41:30 PM »
That's a good point. I can't imagine that would be difficult to implement. At any rate, it never really bothered me, it just struck me as a bit odd.

But then again, Civ V struck me as a pretty transitional release, getting away from the long standing design decisions from I - IV, so maybe the designers for Civ VI will address things like that.
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

weaselprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 02:05:20 PM »
Initial impressions after just a few hours of play is that the changes to cities make city planning a hell of a lot more important. Not only are cities partially un-stacked, but there's been changes to how population and growth occur, along with improvements to wonders. I don't have many comments on military changes yet, as I've yet to get into any major war, but here is the overview:

- Cities now have districts that must be placed on a map tile. Districts facilitate building certain types of buildings. So, for example, your "main" city tile is the city center, and can build things like walls or a granary. A military district allows barracks, stables, etc. Districts may be adjacent, which will prompt certain bonuses to production, culture, science, or faith, but will remove any improvements on that tile.
- There is now a concept of housing, and it must be at least one count higher than population if you wish your city to grow. This so far has rarely come into play as certain improvements provide housing, many districts provide housing, and even some buildings. We'll see how it goes once I have larger cities and actually get into a war
- There are no "amenities". This is similar to happiness, but on a per-city basis. It makes managing amenities a bit different, but the idea is still very much the same. Not enough amenities? Build a cultural center and then a theater or acquire a luxury resource.
- Wonders are now placed on a tile.
- Moving through rough terrain has been expanded to include things like, an un-upgraded unit must spend a full turn crossing a river. Roads are now a combination of automatically created via trade routes, building certain buildings close enough, and via the military engineer. All of this makes unit movement in game way more dependent on the terrain, and consequently has an impact on city defense.
- You can now send envoys to city-states to help manage relations with them. Their attitude to you doesn't degrade over time (which ended up being one of my biggest criticisms of them in Civ V, as after a certain point it was more cost-effective to just take them over,) but you do have to compete with other civs. Whoever has sent the most envoys (which can be gained in different ways,) is the city-state's "Suzerain" which gives you certain additional benefits like being able to conscript their military for a fee.

All of these changes have made a huge impact on assessing terrain when moving units and building cities. So far, it's been an enjoyable refresh of the Civilization series. I've had to be way more on the ball with planning my city development, and actually pay attention to city-states now. I'll be anxious to see how this plays out late game, and if the concept of a huge sprawling city is manageable or not.

I haven't experienced it yet, but I also hear that Gandhi is still a gigantic dick, as A.I. secondary traits are random, meaning he can be a passive-aggressive nuclear war proponent.

links
links