links
LEARN TO COUNTER | RSS | CHAT

Author Topic: Hi, hello, and welcome back.  (Read 2214 times)

Michael Lowell

• Journey Expert
    • View Profile
    • Learn to Counter
Hi, hello, and welcome back.
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:00:26 PM »
I know it was mean and cruel of me to rob you of the greatest shitposting operation in the world, but we're back and more vacant than ever!

Outside of a couple optional implementations, what you see is now what's in place.   Frontpage is clean and looks beautiful now.  New articles look awesome.  Old articles are archived.  Forums are the same thing, but no need to fix what isn't broken, and the features I want aren't worth switching to new software.  Enjoy the new house, same as the old house.

But as far as what needs to be done, I'm aware that the RSS feed is broken and I will figure out how to fix that.  Still undecided on social media, but it would make sense to link to the Steam group, if only to announce that one actually exists.  I may even toy with an unofficial Facebook account, but I'm horrified of placing my site in a platform where I would actually know who you freaks are.

The major possible change (something Tesby consulted with me on) is that I may look into killing the IRC and moving to Discord, which acts as a hybrid of chat and voice programs.  We use chat, we use Skype, fuck it, combine the two.  Although I have a couple of concerns with it and I don't really want to have everyone lay down another set of credentials just to use my site, so it's not official by any means.

But other than that, the plan is to simply write things worth reading and post them here.  That's all.  I don't expect the forums to be half as active as they were when they were completely dead, but the people who just want to talk about games will be here to do that.  And while I am opposed to "gamifying" the forums, I am looking at plugins for "Liking" posts, so people can acknowledge posts without having to respond to them, because I think that kind of feedback loop would be great, so when Truhan posts about the latest Idolmaster game, he knows people love him.

So really, what I'm saying here is, relax, the site is in beta, we are taking the first steps towards a global Battle.net — ahem, Learn to Counter — and you should be happy I haven't put up the paywall yet.  And yeah, the site was on hiatus for a year, but I haven't stopped thinking about the games, my thoughts on the games have gotten better, and I'll be glad to have you all here so that you can vehemently disagree with everything I have to say.

And I'm sorry for putting the gig on hiatus, but really, the best idea was for me to get all my shit in order before mouthing off into the internet once more.  That has been done, everything is peachy, let's do this shit.

If you have any feedback, or you notice that I am horrible at website design and fucked something up, yell at me in this thread.  I'm a man, I can take it.
Lead Designer, Learn to Counter: The Official Game of the Movie

Michael Lowell

• Journey Expert
    • View Profile
    • Learn to Counter
Re: Hi, hello, and welcome back.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 02:14:38 PM »
Oh, and one other thing that's important enough to earn its own post: Take your feminist/racist shit-flinging elsewhere, check your egos at the door, or don't post on my fucking forums.  Anyone who wants to contribute and discuss games is welcome to do it here.  You want to bitch that TEH EBUL WIMMEN are holding you down, save it for therapy.  This is a place to enjoy videogames and learn about videogames.  Not everyone is going to say something you agree with, and sometimes, they're going to say shit that is really fucking stupid.

But you know what?  Shit happens.  If there is one marked change between "2011 me" and "2016 me", it's that I'm confident and comfortable enough in my opinions that I don't feel the need to fight every single battle.  I pick the battles and know where to fight them, and if you want to get more out of this topic and grow as a person, you should learn how to do the same.

And so I'm announcing here: We all have a way with words, we all use certain words, but I have the final say on everything here, and if I feel that the discussion is harmful to the goals of this site, I have the right to nuke shit at my own discretion, and if you don't like it, the sidelines are all yours.  This is to EVERYONE, and that includes the people who have been reading my site from the days when it was just a bunch of crappy Warcraft III articles.  Done, finito, bazinga, and so forth.

So fuck your ressentiment, I got more important shit to deal with.  And considering the shit ain't that important, that's saying something.

blackoutchili

• Postdoc in progress lllllllllllllll.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 03:36:58 PM »
*sheds a tear*

Toadofsky

• Bless me bagpipes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 12:17:17 AM »

There isn't a more laughable job in the world today than to be a video game journalist.

Noobshock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 06:12:30 PM »
tl;dr

Michael Lowell

• Journey Expert
    • View Profile
    • Learn to Counter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
Okay, fuck it, I'm going to use this post as a general status thread.  A "State of LTC" thread, if you will.

And in case you're wondering why I haven't posted an update in two weeks, well, it turns out that the sidenotes plugin I used for the Dota book, and something I planned to use a lot, is incompatible with the new layout.  So I need to figure out what the problem is, find another plugin, or totally improvise.

And also, I chopped the Super Mario Kart review into itty bitty pieces and decided to rewrite it.  I have a couple of other reviews in the loop, but I figure it helps to set the tone of the site by publishing some more positive content before going into the SCATHING DECONSTRUCTION of my sex life.  (Too short on multiple fronts.)

That is all.  Carry on.

squarepusher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »
Is there a discord voice server?  That would be cool, post info if possible!  I think they are free to make also
Europe was founded in 1848 by Walker Texas Ranger when he rode a horse across the Atlantic, he called it "Eastern USA" which was eventually abbreviated as just "EU"

Michael Lowell

• Journey Expert
    • View Profile
    • Learn to Counter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:36:01 PM »
For the time being, we're going to continue using whatever makeshift solution we can find at the current time, which seems the most fitting of how much a dump this place actually is.  But if we go full Discord, I'll lay out the plans.

diomed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »
Hey Mike, how have the years been treating you? You know, I noticed we never had a proper introduction thread.

Surth

• Itinérant
    • View Profile
    • "Surth, update your blog from time to time!" - "sod off, i'm masturbating!"
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 11:36:19 AM »
HE'S BACK! Apparently all I have to do is complain on irc and diomed magically comes back! As for Mikey, he now holds down a job so important that he has TWO offices! But the forums are still dank and full of shitposts.
Sutr ferr sunnan
    með sviga lævi:
    skinn af sverði
    sól valtiva.

Michael Lowell

• Journey Expert
    • View Profile
    • Learn to Counter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 01:18:43 PM »
Hey Mike, how have the years been treating you? You know, I noticed we never had a proper introduction thread.

Cheers.  Life is good enough that I can be the highly respected regional manager of an internet message board.

I should really consider making an introduction thread, so that Q-veta can tell each one of them that their taste in games is shit.  I don't think the urge ever came up, because most of were Battle.net Forum legends and did not need an introduction. :^)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:41:03 PM by Michael Lowell »

diomed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 02:31:57 PM »
Apparently all I have to do is complain on irc and diomed magically comes back!
We must have a telepathic link between us.

Cheers.  Life is good enough that I can be the highly respected regional manager of an internet message board.

You look like you're doing well for yourself. I was approached by the assistant regional manager of LTC and thought I'd pop in for old times' sake.

I should really consider making an introduction thread, so that Q-veta can tell each one of them that their taste in games is shit.

What a coincidence, I was just on /ck/ and someone called me a "retarded faggot" for using a colloquialism. Was it Q?

Q-veta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 03:42:59 PM »
I should really consider making an introduction thread, so that Q-veta can tell each one of them that their taste in games is shit.
Don't undersell me, I'd also call everyone poor.

What a coincidence, I was just on /ck/ and someone called me a "retarded faggot" for using a colloquialism. Was it Q?
No, it wasn't me. I don't really go to 4chan much anymore and if I do I just go to /pol/ because it's funny.
http://backloggery.com/Qveta
23:07   Evilagram   In any case, q-veta, you are in no fucking position to critique what's "Aesthetically pleasing" or not you retarded son of a bitch
23:07   Evilagram   I have the art collection
23:07   Evilagram   I have the skills
23:07   Evilagram   I have the knowledge
23:07   Evilagram   I have the art education
23:07   Evilagram   I know how to program
23:07   Evilagram   I'm on some gaming journalism site
23:07   Evilagram   fuck you

diomed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 04:08:24 PM »
That's a surprise, I couldn't tell from your avatar. :^)

Surth

• Itinérant
    • View Profile
    • "Surth, update your blog from time to time!" - "sod off, i'm masturbating!"
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 05:15:02 PM »
Since you also immediately resumed posting in the music thread, yes, i find that quite likely. I've mostly been listening to techno for the past half year (the curse of moving to berlin) but let me just throw some shit into that thread.

Now all we need is for icycalm to return from the dead, and its 2013 again!
Sutr ferr sunnan
    með sviga lævi:
    skinn af sverði
    sól valtiva.

diomed

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 05:17:35 PM »
Last I heard, he had picked up streetracing. Is this true? What kind of whip does icy drive?